Header Ad Banner

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Seth Godin: What Does Your Company Want For Its Birthday?


I just got back from a long drive, after a long weekend with my parents (who are visiting from India).  Geek that I am, as soon as I got home, I started checking email and getting caught up on my reading.  That’s when I came across a thought-provoking recent article from Seth Godin:  What Should I Do On Your Birthday?  (Yes, I’m a big Seth Godin fan.  His stuff makes me think). 

This article had a particular resonance for me because my startup, HubSpot (the company behind this blog) celebrated its third birthday recently.  Hard to believe it’s already been three years â€" they grow up so quickly!

In any case, in Seth’s article, he writes:  “With all due respect to Hallmark, the idea of sending people cards and presents on their birthday seems both selfish and small-minded. It seems to me that we could think bigger. On the birthday of your company or brand, what would you like your customers to do?”

Here’s my request:  For HubSpot’s birthday, what we’d love from you, more than anything else, is the following:


HubSpot Birthday Wish

Spend a day without pushing your product or service.  Instead, spend that time saying something useful and interesting.  Write a blog article.  Tweet an insight.  Produce a video.  Anything.  Just make your market smarter.


That’s all we at HubSpot wish for our birthday.  Really it is.  Wish granted?  Thanks!

If you do end up granting the HubSpot birthday wish, tweet it with #hubspotwish (or link to this article) and I’ll come check it out.

What’s your wish for your company or brand?

Become a Fan on Facebook
Get inside info and advance notice of HubSpot's free marketing webinars, ebooks and more. Click here -->

 hubspot facebook fans

No comments: